General information: First Jewish presence: 1350: peak Jewish population: 130 in 1845; Jewish population in 1933: 33
Summary: A considerable number of Jews lived in Neumarkt (presentday Środa Śląska, Poland) during the 1300s, but they were banned from the town in the mid-1400s and not permitted to return until 1812. In 1844, local Jews established a community and consecrated a cemetery. Later, in 1862, they built a new synagogue on the corner of Konstadtstrasse and Schlosserstrasse, near the center of town. Many Jewish families left Neumarkt after the elections of 1933. The synagogue was destroyed on Pogrom Night, and although the building survived the war, it was never again used; the building was torn down in the mid-1960s, and the site now accommodates a private clinic. At the Jewish cemetery—it was destroyed during the war—an obelisk and memorial plaque were unveiled in 2001.
Author / Sources: Moshe Finkel
Located in: silesia