General information: First Jewish presence: early 18th century; peak Jewish population: 177 in 1880 (19.1% of the total population); Jewish population in 1933: 47
Summary: The Jews of Oberlauringen conducted services in a prayer room until 1799, when a synagogue and mikveh were built in Oberlauringen. The community established a cemetery in 1832, a Jewish school (located in the synagogue) in 1863 and a new synagogue, at Obere Judengasse, or “upper Jews’ alley,” (later renamed Friedrich-Rueckert-Strasse), in 1865. Schoolteachers also served the community as cantors and ritual slaughterers. Oberlauringen’s cemetery was desecrated in 1935. In 1936, the community’s teacher took on Jewish pupils who had been banished from German schools; from 1937 onwards he also instructed students from Massbach and Poppenlauer. On Pogrom Night, the synagogue’s interior and ritual objects were destroyed; Torah scrolls were later recovered from a trash heap. Windows and furniture in Jewish homes were broken, and all Jewish men were arrested and sent to Hofheim. Those under the age of 60 were imprisoned and, later, deported to Dachau. Shortly after the pogrom, Oberlauringen’s Jews were ordered to leave. Twenty local Jews emigrated and ten relocated within Germany. Sixteen were deported to Izbica and to Theresienstadt in 1942. At least 60 Oberlauringen Jews and three from Stadtlauringen (an affiliated community) perished in the Shoah. A memorial plaque was later affixed to the outer wall of the former synagogue building.
Author / Sources: Esther Sarah Evans
Sources: AJ, EJL, PK BAV
Located in: bavaria