General information: First Jewish presence: 17th century; peak Jewish population: 188 in 1848 (with Niederlustadt); Jewish population in 1933: 25
Summary: The Jewish community of Oberlustadt established the following institutions: a cemetery in 1824 (officially opened in 1828); a Jewish elementary school in 1836; and, in 1851, a synagogue on what would later become 11 Ruderstrasse (formerly Rosengasse) with seats for 120 men and 70 women. Jews from the affiliated community of Niederlustadt attended both the school and synagogue. After the Jewish elementary school closed down in 1905, the community employed a teacher of religion who also served as chazzan and shochet. In 1928, four of the community’s children received religious instruction, which was then provided by a teacher from Niederhochstadt. On Pogrom Night, SA men broke open the doors of the synagogue, carried out the ritual objects and proceeded to burn everything on a bonfire; they also set fire to the interior of the synagogue. On October 22, 1940, 10 Jews, Oberlustadt’s last, were deported to the concentration camp in Gurs, France. At least 10 Jews originally from Oberlustadt or Niederlustadt perished in the Shoah. Ownership of the damaged synagogue building was later transferred to the Jewish community that was established in the area after the war. In 1971, that community sold what was left of the building, after which a residential property was built on the site.
Author / Sources: Esther Sarah Evans
Sources: AJ, EJL, FJW, SG-RPS