General information: First Jewish presence: 1408; peak Jewish population: 239 in 1890; Jewish population in 1933: 130
Summary: The Jews of Erlangen established a community and a prayer hall in 1873, a new prayer hall in 1878 and a cemetery in 1891. Twelve pupils studied religion in Erlangen in 1933. That year, the community was operating three Jewish associations and a kosher canteen for Jewish university students. In 1937, the diminished community moved to a smaller prayer room at 5 Einhornstrasse. On Pogrom Night, rioters wrecked the prayer room and confiscated its ritual objects and Torah scrolls. All Jews were arrested that night: the men were held in Nuremberg prison for six weeks; the women and children were kept in a hostel for three days. After the men were released, they were forced to sell their plundered houses for a fraction of their actual value. In May 1939, the cemetery was destroyed. Forty-two Erlangen Jews emigrated, 50 relocated within Germany and eight died in Erlangen (one of whom committed suicide). In November 1941, six Erlangen Jews were deported to Riga; and in October 1943, the town’s last Jewish person, a woman, was deported to Auschwitz. At least 80 Erlangen Jews perished in the Shoah. In 1983, a memorial stone was unveiled at the cemetery. The new Jewish community of Erlangen was founded in 1997.
Author / Sources: Magret Liat Wolf
Sources: AJ, PK BAV
Located in: bavaria