General information: First Jewish presence: 1548; peak Jewish population: 167 in 1832; Jewish population in 1933: 72
Summary: At the end of the 17th century, a Flehingen Jew named Affrohmle (Avraham) prevented the invading French army from burning the local castle and other important buildings. Jewish prayer services were initially conducted in a private residence. A synagogue was built at some point during the 18th century, and we also know that local Jews inaugurated a new house of worship in 1874. A cemetery, consecrated in 1688 and enlarged in 1926, also served nearby Jewish communities. Flehingen was home to a Jewish school (founded in 1841), but it was closed down, together with all confessional schools in Baden, in 1876. The community also maintained a mikveh and a library. Professor Jakob Barth, a famous Orthodox philologist and Bible researcher, was born in Flehingen. In 1933, four Jewish associations were active in Flehingen. The community employed a teacher—he served as chazzan and shochet—who instructed seven schoolchildren in religion. The synagogue, Torah scrolls and furniture were burned on Pogrom Night. Later, in 1940, the ruins were demolished. According to records, 11 Jews moved to Flehingen after 1933, and two babies were born there. Forty-eight Jews emigrated, five died in Flehingen and nine, the last, were deported to Gurs on October 22, 1940. At least 47 Flehingen Jews perished in the Shoah. A memorial plaque marks the location of the former synagogue.
Author / Sources: Maren Cohen
Sources: AJ, EJL, HU, PK-BW
Located in: baden-wuerttemberg