General information: First Jewish presence: 1684; peak Jewish population: 391 in 1840 (20.4% of the total population); Jewish population in 1933: 19
Summary: In 1688, the Jewish community of Floss built a settlement on the Judenberg (“Jews’ hill”), which was independent from the Christian part of the village until 1870. Floss was home to a rabbinate between 1736 and 1896. The community established a Jewish cemetery in 1692, a synagogue in 1721 (enlarged in 1780 and renovated in 1867 and 1883), a Jewish school in 1812 (closed in 1921), a community house and a mikveh. Rabbi Joseph Schwarz, a native of Floss, moved to Jerusalem in 1833 and became a leading Hebrew scholar there. From 1928 onwards, the Jews of Floss could no longer gather a minyan. Nevertheless, the community of 1933—with which the Jews of Waldsassen, Tirschenreuth, Mitterteich, Waidhaus, Erbendorf and Teunz were affiliated—maintained a chevra kadisha and a Zionist association. In July 1938, the community was disbanded. On Pogrom Night, the synagogue’s interior and windows were broken; ritual objects were stolen or burned. The interior of the community house was also destroyed. Fourteen Jews left Floss. In 1942, the remaining five Jews were deported to Piaski and to Theresienstadt. At least 19 Floss Jews and 21 from its affiliated communities perished in the Shoah. The Floss synagogue was restored in 1980 and in 2005.
Author / Sources: Magret Liat Wolf
Sources: AJ, EJL, PK BAV
Located in: bavaria