General information: First Jewish presence: 1638/39 or 1645 (sources differ); peak Jew. pop.: 209 in 1809/10 (over 50% of total population); Jewish population in 1933: 7
Summary: In 1658, Hagenbach became the seat of a district rabbinate, with authority over 13 Jewish communities; it was not until 1894 that the rabbinate was transferred to Bamberg. The 18th-century Jewish community enjoyed the protection of the noble house of Guttenberg, members of which relied on Jews as moneylenders. By the start of the 19th century, most local Jews were cattle traders. In 1687, the Jews of Hagenbach built a synagogue on Schlosshof; and in 1727, the community inaugurated a new synagogue at 54 Plan, or present-day 39 Plan (renovated in 1868). Other communal institutions included a mikveh, a Jewish school (closed in 1909) and a cemetery. In 1927, five Jews lived in Hagenbach. The community was dissolved in 1934, when only four elderly Jews (the Seiferheld and Mai couples) lived there. The synagogue was ransacked on Pogrom Night, and the remaining four Jews (mentioned above) were paraded through town and imprisoned in Forchheim. Purchased by a Christian resident, the synagogue building was torn down due to its severely dilapidated state. The Seiferhelds and Mais were eventually deported to Riga. A memorial plaque was later unveiled next to Schlossmauer. The former Jewish cemetery—the last burial there took place in 1934—was desecrated in 1978.
Author / Sources: Benjamin Rosendahl
Sources: AJ, EJL, LJG, SG-B1, YV
Located in: bavaria