General information: First Jewish presence: unknown; peak Jewish population: 184 in 1848; Jewish population in 1933: 28
Summary: It was not until the mid-17th century that a lasting Jewish presence was established in Lambsheim. The community established the following institutions: a synagogue, at 43 Hauptstrasse, in 1705; a cemetery in 1822 (enlarged in 1856); a more modern synagogue and mikveh, located on the same site on which the older house of worship stood, in 1829; and a Jewish elementary school in 1842. The school, which had been built inside the synagogue, closed down in 1874, after which a teacher who performed the duties of chazzan and shochet instructed children in religion. By 1933, the Jews of Weisenheim (18) and Eppstein (1) had been affiliated with the Lambsheim community. Later, on Pogrom Night (November 1938) SA men and Hitler Youth tried to burn down the Lambsheim synagogue, but were deterred by the likelihood of damaging the surrounding buildings. The synagogue’s interior was destroyed, however, and Jewish-owned businesses and homes were heavily vandalized. In all, 14 Lambsheim Jews emigrated and 11 relocated within Germany. On October 22, 1940, the village’s eight remaining Jews were deported to the concentration camp in Gurs, France. At least 13 local Jews perished in the Shoah. The former synagogue was enlarged and converted into a two-car garage in the 1960s; it had previously been separated into two buildings.
Author / Sources: Esther Sarah Evans
Sources: AJ, EJL