General information: First Jewish presence: early 18th century; peak Jewish population: 82-96 in 1855; Jewish population in 1933: 26
Summary: In 1704, one Jewish family resided in Madfeld. Jewish population growth was initially modest, so that only 10 Jews lived there in the early 19th century. By the mid-19th century, however, the community had consecrated a cemetery on An der Egge and a synagogue in a private residence, the latter of which burned down in 1855. A new synagogue was built in 1858 (renovated in 1886) and used until April of 1924, when, as a result of financial problems, the community signed over the house of worship to the newly-founded official synagogue association. In 1932/33, at which point the community employed a shochet, four Jewish children received religious instruction. Although the synagogue building was used for storing hay, the Madfeld synagogue association continued to exist until 1940. The former synagogue was burned down on Pogrom Night, shortly after which its ruins were cleared. Between 1933 and 1942, nine Madfeld Jews emigrated and 10 relocated within Germany. Six were deported in 1942, and at least 21 perished in the Shoah. A new building was later built on the synagogue site (present-day Schuetzenstrasse). As of this writing, no memorial has been erected in Madfeld.
Author / Sources: Heidemarie Wawrzyn