General information: First Jewish presence: mid-1300s; peak Jewish population: 311 in 1861; Jewish population in 1933: 43
Summary: Jews lived in Anklam from the mid-1300s until the Black Death pogroms, when they were burned at the stake. In 1712, at which point Anklam was under Swedish rule, the authorities issued a ban on Jewish settlement. All bans were annulled in 1812, after which Jews began to return to Anklam. By 1817, a Jewish community had been founded, complete with a prayer room, a cemetery and a school. In order to accommodate the growing community, a synagogue was built and inaugurated in 1841. As a token of gratitude to the local count who granted permission to build the synagogue, the community mounted his portrait on the wall of the synagogue’s foyer. Anti-Semitism became a real problem for Anklam Jews in early 1933 and by 1935 the situation was almost intolerable. Although the synagogue was set on fire on Pogrom Night, it did not burn down completely, and was subsequently used for grain storage. A small plaque was later unveiled at the synagogue site.
Author / Sources: Moshe Finkel; Sources: EJL, LJG, SIA, WDJMV
Located in: mecklenburg-western-pomerania