General information: First Jewish presence: unknown; peak Jewish population: (see below); Jewish population in 1933: 25
Summary: The Jews of Weyer, Nochern and Lierschied founded a community on or about 1800. By 1840, the community numbered four Jewish families (11 men); in 1843, the Jewish population was 29. Twenty Jews lived in Weyer in 1895, 1900 and 1905 (nine in Nochern and between one and six in Lierschied). In 1818, the community established a prayer hall in a private residence at 1 Schulstrasse. Burials were conducted in Nochern. Only three Jewish families lived in the village in 1938. On Pogrom Night, the prayer hall was destroyed, as was the house in which it had been established. Two families immigrated to the United States before the beginning of World War II. Nine local Jews were deported in 1941, among them five members of the Ackermann family who were sent to the camp in Friedrichssegen. At least seven Weyer Jews perished in the Shoah. In Friedrichssegen, a memorial commemorates the Ackermann family. The prayer hall building was demolished in 1971, and the site is now used as farmland.
Author / Sources: Heidemarie Wawrzyn
Located in: hesse