General information: First Jewish presence: unknown; peak Jewish population: 77 in 1875; Jewish population in 1933: 13
Summary: Jews lived in in Bad Mingolsheim from the 18th century onwards. Services were initially conducted in a prayer room, and we also know that the community consecrated a cemetery and a synagogue, the latter of which was located on 25 Friedrichsstrasse, in 1878 and 1882, respectively. In 1895, the Jewish community of Langenbruecken became an affiliate of Bad Mingolsheim. In 1933, 13 Jews lived in Bad Mingolsheim and eight in Langenbruecken. Although the synagogue had been sold to a private citizen in April 1938—the new owner used the site as a barn and storage room—SA men still planned to set the building on fire on Pogrom Night. Prevented from doing so by the neighbors, they instead destroyed the building’s ritual objects. One Jew was sent to Dachau that night. Eight Jews (four from Bad Mingolsheim and four from Langenbruecken) managed to emigrate; another four relocated within Germany. On October 22, 1940, four Mingolsheim Jews and one Jewish woman from Langenbruecken were deported to the Gurs concentration camp in France. At least four Mingolsheim Jews and two from Langenbruecken perished in the Shoah.
Author / Sources: Nurit Borut; Sources: AJ, EJL. PK-BW
Located in: baden-wuerttemberg