General information: First Jewish presence: 1345; peak Jewish population: 119 in 1836; Jewish population in 1933: 14
Summary: During the first half of the 18th century, this community’s junior rabbi worked under the rabbinate in Heidingsfeld. In 1827, Boedigheim was assigned to the Merchingen district rabinate. We also know that the community’s last rabbi, Gedalja Metz, died in 1850. The community inaugurated its first synagogue in 1818; two years after which the decision was made to build a new house of worship. Construction was completed in 1828, and the synagogue was consecrated in 1829 or 1830. The building housed a classroom and living quarters for a teacher who was also the community’s chazzan and shochet. Described as one of the most beautiful synagogues in Mosbach, it was renovated in 1911. The cemetery served over 30 Jewish communities in the region. Salomon Salm was the community leader at the beginning of the Nazi period. On the morning of Pogrom Night, a former policeman broke into the synagogue and smashed the windows and furniture. The ritual objects and Torah scrolls were saved because the congregation had earlier transferred them to the Jewish High Council in Karlsruhe. Later that day, SA broke into homes, destroyed properties and assaulted Jewish residents. Six Jews were deported to Gurs in October, 1940. Only one child survived. At least nine Boedigheim Jews were murdered in the Shoah. The synagogue building served as a residence after the war. The foundation stone bearing the original inscription from 1828 is intact.
Author / Sources: Maren Cohen
Sources: AJ, EJL, PK-BW
Located in: baden-wuerttemberg