General information: First Jewish presence: 1298; peak Jewish population: 130 in 1846; Jewish population in 1933: 73
Summary: The first Jews of Creglingen were victims of the Rindfleisch massacre (1298). In 1620, a prayer hall or synagogue was inaugurated in a private residence, apparently at 3 Badgasse. The community maintained a synagogue (inaugurated in 1800), a school (1830-1924) a mikveh and a cemetery, the last of which was consecrated in the 17th century. In 1933, seven children received religious instruction. Several associations and a branch of the Central Association of German Jews were active in Creglingen. In March 1933, SA men from Heilbronn tortured 16 Jews in the town hall, after which two died. The community opened another school in 1935. On Pogrom Night, the synagogue�s windows were broken and its interior destroyed; most Jewish men were sent to Dachau. The municipality appropriated the synagogue in 1939. Fifty-two Creglingen Jews emigrated, 21 relocated within Germany and one committed suicide. By July 1937, no Jews remained in the town. At least 18 Creglingen Jews perished in the Shoah. The synagogue building was later used for a number of purposes; lastly as a restaurant. A plaque was affixed to it in 1987, and another was unveiled at the cemetery in 1998. In 2000, a museum was opened at 3 Badgasse.
Author / Sources: Nurit Borut
Sources: AJ, EJL, PK-BWt
Located in: baden-wuerttemberg