General information: First Jewish presence: 13th century; peak Jewish population: 115 in 1890; Jewish population in 1933: 73
Summary: The earliest accounts of Jewish residents in Aub refer to the anti-Semitic Rindfleisch massacres of 1298 and the Armleder persecutions of 1336. Jews later resettled in the village, and the community peaked at 115 in 1890. A rabbinate was based in Aub from the 16th until the late 19th century. The village’s first synagogue, established in or around 1600, was replaced in 1744/45 by a new building on Neuertgasse. The community maintained a school, a mikveh and a cemetery at Harbachweg, the last of which was consecrated in 1630. In 1933, the teacher/chazzan instructed six schoolchildren in religion. A chevra kadisha and a Talmud Torah foundation were active in Aub that year. On Pogrom Night, SA and SS troops destroyed the synagogue’s interior and looted homes and businesses. Jewish men, women and children were detained in Aub’s court building, where the men were beaten. Seven Jews were imprisoned in Ochsenfurt. Twenty-one Aub Jews emigrated during the Nazi period and 55 moved elsewhere in Germany. The community was dissolved when the last Jews left in 1940. At least 47 local Jews perished in the Shoah. The synagogue was later converted into apartments. A memorial stone has been unveiled at the old cemetery.
Author / Sources: Heidemarie Wawrzyn; Sources: AJ, EJL, PK-BAV, SIA, WSRU
Located in: bavaria