General information: First Jewish presence: Middle Ages; peak Jewish population: 420 in 1837; Jewish population in 1933: 52
Summary: The Jewish community of Burgkunstadt had a synagogue (on what would later become Kulmbacher Strasse) as early as 1434; this synagogue was destroyed on an unspecified date, but rebuilt in 1657. Burgkunstadt’s Jewish cemetery, consecrated in 1620 and enlarged in 1679, was one of the largest in rural Bavaria. The modern community established a new synagogue in the mid-18th century, a district rabbinate in 1825, an elementary school in 1852, yet another school in 1921, and a mikveh. In 1933, the community’s teacher/chazzan instructed four schoolchildren. A chevra kadisha, a women’s association and a charitable society were active in Burgkunstadt. On Pogrom Night, SA men and local residents ransacked the synagogue and Jewish homes. Shortly afterwards, the synagogue was demolished. All Jewish men were imprisoned for several days. During the Nazi period, 16 Burgkunstadt Jews emigrated and 24 relocated within Germany. In April 1942, 10 Jews were deported to Izbica (via Bamberg). One other Jew was sent to Bamberg in May 1942, and deported from there to Theresienstadt. At least 84 local Jews and three from Hochstadt am Main (an affiliate town of the community) perished in the Shoah. In 1987, a memorial stone was unveiled at the synagogue site.
Author / Sources: Heike Zaun Goshen
Sources: AJ, EJL, PK-BAV, SG-B
Located in: bavaria