General information: First Jewish presence: 1596; peak Jewish population: 82 in 1867; Jewish population in 1933: 23
Summary: The Jewish community of Aidhausen initially conducted services in a prayer hall. The synagogue, built in 1869, contained a mikveh, a classroom and living quarters for a schoolteacher who also served the community as chazzan and shochet. Julius Rosenberger held this post for 52 years (from 1878 until 1930). Local Jews buried their dead in Kleinsteinach. In 1933, the local Jewish teacher instructed children from Hofheim, Kleinsteinach and Aidhausen. After the teacher for the nearby communities of Koenigshofen im Grabfeld and Hoechheim emigrated, the Aidhausen teacher took on students from these communities as well. On October 10, 1938, windows in the synagogue and in several Jewish houses were smashed; some of the synagogue’s ritual objects were desecrated. Later, presumably on Pogrom Night, the synagogue’s interior and ritual items were destroyed. Ten Aidhausen Jews emigrated (seven to the United States); eleven were deported to Izbica (via Wuerzburg) in April, 1942; and five, the last, were moved to Schweinfurt in June 1942, and deported to Theresienstadt in September of that year. At least 21 Aidhausen Jews perished in the Shoah. The synagogue was converted into a private residence after the war. A memorial stone has been unveiled opposite the site.
Author / Sources: Yaakov Borut; Sources: AJ, EJL, PK-BAV
Located in: bavaria